- Meet the Regents
- Regents’ Meetings
- Meeting Archives
- Chapter I. The Board of Regents
- Chapter II. University Executive Officers
- Chapter III. Business Management, Finance, and Property
- Chapter IV. The University Senate
- Chapter V. The Faculties And Academic Staff
- Chapter VI. Schools and Colleges: Program Definitions
- Chapter VII. Student Affairs
- Chapter VIII. Admission And Registration Of Students
- Chapter IX. Commencement And Degrees
- Chapter X. Fees And Charges
- Chapter XI. The Schools And Colleges And Affiliated Units
- Chapter XII. The University Libraries
- Chapter XIII. Other University Units, Agencies, and Services
- Chapter XIV. Miscellaneous Rules and Regulations
- Regents’ Ordinance
- Seal, Trademarks and Copyright
- Office of Vice President
and Secretary of the University
Mark J. Bernstein
Mark J. Bernstein
The Sam Bernstein Law Firm, PLLC
31731 Northwestern Highway, Suite 333
Farmington Hills, MI 48334
Phone: (248) 865-0877
Regent Bernstein, a Democrat from Ann Arbor, is chair of the Board of Regents. He holds three degrees from the University of Michigan: A.B. (1993), J.D. (1996), and M.B.A. (1996).
Regent Bernstein is president and managing partner of The Sam Bernstein Law Firm, PLLC. Previously, he was an associate in the Investment Banking Division of Citigroup/Salomon Smith Barney and served as director of press pool operations and trip coordinator in the White House during the Clinton Administration.
Regent Bernstein was appointed by Governor Granholm to an 8-year term on the Michigan Civil Rights Commission in 2004. During his tenure, he served as chair of the commission, helped establish the Michigan Civil Rights Academy, and convened the Michigan Civil Rights Summit. He currently serves on the executive board of the Michigan Association for Justice, and was elected by both defense and plaintiff attorneys to serve on the State Bar of Michigan Negligence Section Council. He is a fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation and a Michigan Lawyers Weekly Leader in the Law.
Regent Bernstein serves on the Board of Directors of Bend the Arc (formerly the Jewish Funds for Justice), a national public foundation; the Michigan League of Conservation Voters; and the Detroit Jewish News Foundation. Previously, he served on the Board of Directors of the Jewish Federation of Washtenaw County, as chair of the Community Relations Committee of the Jewish Federation of Washtenaw County, on the advisory board of Jewish Family Services of Washtenaw County, and as a trustee of the Isaiah Fund (an interfaith disaster recovery fund). He has also served on both the governing board and Board of Trustees of the University of Michigan Hillel.
Regent Bernstein was elected to the Board of Regents in 2012. His term expires January 1, 2021.