- Meet the Regents
- Regents’ Meetings
- Meeting Archives
- Chapter I. The Board of Regents
- Chapter II. University Executive Officers
- Chapter III. Business Management, Finance, and Property
- Chapter IV. The University Senate
- Chapter V. The Faculties And Academic Staff
- Chapter VI. Schools and Colleges: Program Definitions
- Chapter VII. Student Affairs
- Chapter VIII. Admission And Registration Of Students
- Chapter IX. Commencement And Degrees
- Chapter X. Fees And Charges
- Chapter XI. The Schools And Colleges And Affiliated Units
- Chapter XII. The University Libraries
- Chapter XIII. Other University Units, Agencies, and Services
- Chapter XIV. Miscellaneous Rules and Regulations
- Regents’ Ordinance
- Seal, Trademarks and Copyright
- Office of Vice President
and Secretary of the University
Chapter XIV. Miscellaneous Rules and Regulations
- Sec. 14.01. Powers and Duties of the Governing Bodies of all University Agencies, Other Than Schools and Colleges
- Sec. 14.02. Saving Clause
- Sec. 14.03. Amendments of Bylaws
- Sec. 14.04. Revocation of Delegated Authority
- Sec. 14.05. Repeal
- Sec. 14.06. Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action (revised April 2009)
- Sec. 14.07. Privacy and Access to Information
- In all cases where these bylaws provide for the adoption of regulations by university units and agencies for carrying out their functions (other than schools and colleges and their subdivisions defined in Sec. 5.03) such adopted regulations must be approved by the board and recorded in the Proceedings of the Board of Regents.
- In the event that the provisions of these bylaws do not contain express authority for the adoption of regulations necessary for carrying out the assigned functions of any unit of the university described in paragraph (1) above, such unit may at any time and from time to time when deemed necessary or desirable act through its director or executive committee to adopt regulations, not in contravention of these bylaws, concerning the administration of the unit. Such regulations must be approved by the board and shall be recorded in the Proceedings of the Board of Regents.
- Subject to the ultimate authority of the board, the governing bodies of all university agencies, (other than schools and colleges and their subdivisions defined in Sec. 5.03) are vested with plenary authority to adopt regulations, not in contravention of these bylaws, concerning matters of a less important nature. All such regulations shall be appropriately recorded by the adopting authority and filed with the secretary of the university.
The type of regulations embraced in paragraphs (1) and (2) above are those relating to structure and major operating procedures of the unit such as departmental organization and other major matters which are within the peculiar competence of the governing body of the unit.
The adoption of this revision of the Bylaws of the Board of Regents shall not be deemed to vacate the appointment of any of the officers, committees, boards, or other employees or agents of the University.
The bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting of the board, or at any special meeting, provided notice is given to each regent one week in advance. Such notice shall be accompanied by a copy of the proposed amendment or amendments.
Any and all delegations of authority made at any time and from time to time by the board to any member of the university staff, or to any unit of the university may be revoked by the board at any time, and notice of such revocation shall be given in writing.
All bylaws, acts, resolutions, rules, and regulations of the board inconsistent with these bylaws are hereby repealed.
The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status. The university also is committed to compliance with all applicable laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
In collecting, utilizing, and releasing information about individuals associated with the university, the university will strive to protect individual privacy, to use information only for the purpose for which it was collected, and to inform individuals of the personal information about them that is being collected, used, or released. The university will not release sensitive information without the consent of the individual involved unless required to do so by law. Individuals who provide personal information to the university are expected to provide truthful and timely information and to inform the university of any known inaccuracies in the university's records. Appropriate guidelines will be employed to implement this policy.
If you have questions or suggestions regarding the bylaws section of our website, please email them to Erin Katz (email@example.com).
Bylaws updated: February 2014 (Revision of Sections 2.10, 6.02, 11.08, 11.14, 11.31, 13.04, and 13.13)